Re: Reporting Lisp errors in dynamic modules

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Reporting Lisp errors in dynamic modules
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:20:03 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> I believe the line with "<subr module-call>" is suboptimal, in that it
> looks alien and includes all kinds of unneeded and weirdly formatted
> data.  AFAIU, the reason is that we deliberately unintern module-call.
> Should we perhaps reconsider that decision, so that the backtrace is
> in more familiar form?  What exactly are the dangers of having
> module-call exposed as any other primitive?

It's an implementation detail and cannot be used safely by Lisp users.
The danger of using it is it can make core Emacs crash. We also don't
want the risk of someone overriding it.

Maybe we could try to detect it and print something more meaningful in
the backtrace as a compromise?

Also, unrelated but can I be added to the savannah emacs group? My
savannah account is aaptel.