Re: Questions about isearch

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Questions about isearch
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:02:38 +0100

> Hi,
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> These questions came out of review and extensive updates of the search
>> and replace sections of the Emacs manual:
>>
>> 1. Character folding doesn't catch ligatures, such as æ (should it match
>> the two characters "ae")?

> In Danish I would not consider this a ligature, but a separate letter.  It
> can be written as ae, however.

Hm... could this happen other than when transcribing a Danish name
containing "æ" to an alphabet without Danish letters...?

> Thus, it would probably be nice to match it via ’ae’.

Speaking for the Norwegians: probably not!

> But where to stop?  How about ’å’ (matched by ’a’)?

Absolutely not!

> Should it be captured by "aa"?

Actually perhaps yes, but only for names, and only if the locale is
Norwegian (and presumably also Danish).

Actually, considering the limitations, probably not.

> Ø by ’oe’?

No.  For Norwegian the situation would be similar to "ae", and it would
be for a case that is increasingly going away: having to transcribe a
name in USASCII only.

But it would make sense to make it search for "ö", because it rarely but
_may_ be used instead of "ø" in Norwegian, and there are cases where
Norwegian words differ only on "ø" vs. "ö" (funnily enough less so on
"æ" vs. "ä"... an informal observation by me is that many words spelled
with "ä" in Swedish are spelled with "e" in Norwegian (and pronounced
with an "æ" sound)).

> There’s also ’œ’...

Which is French for (more or less) the same sound as "ø"