Re: Git help: amending a substandard commit message in savannah.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Git help: amending a substandard commit message in savannah.
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 18:38:31 +0600

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> So you can use
>
>     git push origin :branch_to_be_deleted
>
> in order to delete the branch, but once it is gone, you need to do
>
>     git push origin HEAD:refs/heads/branch_to_be_deleted
>
> in order to recreate it

Not necessarily. You can say

    git push origin my_branch

and it will be pushed to origin as refs/heads/my_branch.

Also, my quick experiment shows that all these commands create
branches in the origin under refs/heads/:

    git push origin my_branch
    git push origin my_branch:other_branch
    git push origin HEAD:more_branch

Can this be a Git version difference? I’m on 2.6.3.