Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 8726de6: Finish excising electric indent from

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 8726de6: Finish excising electric indent from `open-line'
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 00:23:50 -0600

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>     * lisp/simple.el (open-line): Remove INTERACTIVE argument.
>
>Nit pick: the point of this change is to stop passing `interactive' to
>`newline'.  As a consequence, `interactive' becomes unused so it can be
>removed, but the removal of `interactive' is not the crucial element.

Thanks for the review, Stefan.

Since I explained the overall point of the change elsewhere in the commit
message, I deliberately kept a narrower focus in the part of the commit message
that's about the diff to `open-line'.  However, on reflection, I think you're
right that it would have been clearer to say something like this:

  * lisp/simple.el (open-line): Remove INTERACTIVE flag, so that
    it is no longer passed to `newline', so that invoking `newline'
    no longer causes electric indentation to happen.

Oh, well.  Although mostly pleased with Emacs' transition to distributed
version control, I do miss one thing: being able to edit log messages after the
fact!

Best regards
-Karl