Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:15:21 +0200

> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:13:01 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  > If you run this command under a debugger,
>
> How do I do that?

Run "make V=1" to see the full command line of the command that fails,
then start "gdb ./emacs.exe" in the src directory, and copy/paste the
offending command line into the GDB command to run Emacs, right after
the "run" part.  Then wait until it segfaults.

>  > what do you see in the
>  > backtrace when Emacs crashes?
>
> Attaching gdb to bootstrap-emacs.exe when it crashes gives

That's too late: when a program running not under a debugger triggers
a fatal exception, Windows invokes the global exception handler, which
in this case is installed by the MinGW startup code, so you don't see
the application stack.  When a program is being debugged, the debugger
gets the first opportunity to handle the exception, so it can display
much more information.

> Lisp Backtrace:
> "prin1" (0x82ee7c)
> "autoload-insert-section-header" (0x82f008)

Looks like some GC problem to me, as prin1 uses a temporary buffer to
produce its strings.