Re: Git question. Is there a way of duplicating a git repository?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Git question. Is there a way of duplicating a git repository?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:37:05 -0500

On Nov 14, 2015, at 6:20 AM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now that we've cut the emacs-25 release branch, I'd like to have a
> distinct repository for this.
> I could simply download another copy from savannah, but this would
> (presumably) be a distinct copy, rather than hard linking the repository
> files.  This would cost me disk (and backup) space.
>
> Or I could clone my master repository to make emacs-25.  But this would
> make the new repo firmly subordinate to the master repo, rather than
> directly with savannah.

How would it be subordinate?
A full clone is just that: a deep copy, with no dependency implied.  You can
push and pull entirely independently.  It’s the same as downloading another
copy.

Indeed, that’s what I would call “distinct”.

> So, is there any convenient way of duplicating a repo (using hard links,
> and preserving config info)?

If you are looking for a distinct working directory, but not a distinct
repository, “git new-workdir” is what you want.   The actual repository is
locally shared, but you can have a second (and third) working directory, which
typically will hold another branch.

It’s not what I would call “distinct repository”, but it’s a distinct directory
hard-linked against the original repository.