Re: Freeze is almost here (was: Dynamic loading progress)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Freeze is almost here (was: Dynamic loading progress)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 21:24:36 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:39:27 -0800

> > John, can the dynamic modules branch be pushed then or do you need it today?
> > I'm OK with the delay.
>
> Sure, it can be pushed then. In fact, anytime next week is OK for that branch.
>
> I've created the "emacs-25" branch, and will merge from master one last time
> in 8.4 hours. After that, only bug fixes should be applied to that branch, or
> feature work for those with an exemption.

We don't merge from master to the release branch, we merge in the
opposite direction.  See gitmerge.el.  So I think the dynamic modules
changes should be applied to emacs-25, and will then be merged to
master in due time.

> I encourage everyone without pressing feature work to make that branch their
> primary working area for the next few months, and to help me categorize the
> bugs appropriately.

Seconded.

in any case, once the release branch is cut, any bugfixes that fix
problems visible on emacs-25 should be applied there, not to master
(they will be later merged to master via gitmerge.el).  The master
branch should only get direct commits of fixes for bugs that don't
exist on the release branch.