Re: project.el semantics

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: project.el semantics
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:35:21 -0600

Steinar Bang <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Those are conflicting criteria, so you are proving my point.
>
>> I don't see that.
>
> (FWIW I didn't see that either...? The distinction Dmitry made, made
> perfect sense to me, with my Java and Python glasses on (...and Java and
> Python is where I currently want better emacs support))

Just because something is a "library" doesn't mean you can't edit it.

But I guess you are all saying that is exactly what it means; Ok.

There might also be other dependencies (not libraries) that you
should not edit, that are editable in other circumstances, via other
projects.

For example, you are on a team that maintains several top-level
projects, and a low-level utility project shared by all. You are not
allowed to change the utility project unless you are implementing a
change order. So in your everyday project, the utility dependecy is
read-only. You also have a change-order project, that makes the utility
dependency read-write.

So it would be best to have "project-read-write-roots" and
"project-read-only-roots". That would be much clearer.

Except I'd prefer a predicate, as discussed in the other emails.

--
-- Stephe