Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Feature freezes and Emacs 25
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 08:48:35 -0800

> Call me a buzzkill, but I actually like to know that “sensitive” features
> are going to get a good amount of testing before being called “stable”. 😄

If it's something you care about, consider that motivation to do more testing
during the pre-release cycle. :)

Whatever feature is introduced, until it is released the only ones who will
test it are the developers building from Emacs.git. A pre-release tarball
actually has a much larger audience. And we always have the option of backing
out the change if it receives too much bad feedback.

> That's twice as valid when the code involves some decisions that we're going
> to have to live with afterwards (yes window*-start, I'm looking at you 😉).

Agreed. When it comes to modifying core functionality, we need to proceed very
cautiously.

John