Re: ELPA policy

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:23:33 -0800

> I will continue to use MELPA for my libraries, and not GNU ELPA, for one
> reason:
>
> I post my code to Emacs Wiki (to locked pages). MELPA pulls the code from
> the wiki (daily). I do not need to use GIT etc.
>
> This is the way I prefer to work. Call it old-fashioned or bizarre; I don't
> care.

This is a legitimate complaint, Drew. One of the things I want to avoid with
ELPA is making it harder for people to contribute to than other alternatives.

Since pulling in data from the Web indiscriminately is not possible for this
project (we have to make sure we're not unwittingly including code without a
proper copyright assignment), perhaps we need as an "integrator": someone
willing to guide the update of ELPA from various sources on the Web, keeping
an eye out for changes that might affect copyright.

It wouldn't be too hard to setup a process that updates a local clone of ELPA
with all your latest versions from GitHub and EmacsWiki, and then to check
over a diff of those changes before pushing them to ELPA. One might even
suggest that you could do this yourself, as part of your own release work.
Would that be something you'd find worth doing?

John