Re: ELPA policy

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:52:41 -0800

>> Elpa.git should be a submodule referenced from within Emacs.git (under
>> "elpa").
>> This allows us to expressly state which "version" of Elpa is expected to work
>> with the current Emacs.git.

> Since ELPA comprises many packages, that simply cannot work.

Perhaps I should say, "The version of Elpa.git, a subset of which will appear
in the release tarball of this commit".

>> Large packages like CEDET should move outside of Emacs.git and into
>> Elpa.git.

> Why?

There will never be 100% agreement on whether they should be in ELPA, or be in
Core, so I'm making the decision that they belong in ELPA. The big three that
will be moved first are: Gnus, Org and CEDET.

> From my experience, git submodules are never seamless to work with.

Even still, they work perfectly fine for this purpose.

John