Re: ELPA policy

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 19:46:46 +0200

On 11/09/2015 06:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

So far, it seems we're short of manpower to manage even the current one.
To manage the infrastructure, improve the scripts, etc.

Is it really such a significant effort?  I wasn't aware of that.

There are things to be done, and just a couple months ago nobody was doing them. I see some movement now, e.g. the last commit by Thomas Fitzsimmons.

I cannot "git pull" a new version of Dired into my stable installation
of Emacs 24.5.

Of course you can: just copy the file over.

Automatic update is a really handy feature when you have 50+ packages installed. See some user statistics at https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3s4k03/how_many_packages_do_you_use/

We could probably find a few more.  MH-E, for example.  (Of course,
their developers will have to agree to move.)

Yeah, I bet the majority of our users are unaware of what MH-E is.