On screen sizes (was: Exposing Isearch toggleable options)

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: On screen sizes (was: Exposing Isearch toggleable options)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 23:26:56 +0000

On 5 Nov 2015 10:44 pm, "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden> wrote:
>   > 2) I really don't think it'll be that distracting. On large screens
>   > it'll be over 100 spaces to the right of the search string.
>
> Do people actually use Emacs with windows so wide?
> My screen is wide, but having more than 80 columns in Emacs would
> be a screw, so I tell Emacs that the screen is 80 columns wide.

I find emacs deals nicely with large screens. For instance, if the frame is wider than 160 columns, then help buffers (and other popup windows) are displayed to the right instead of at the bottom.

Besides, depending on the programming language, you might actually need more than 80 columns to view the whole code. :-P