Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9d35bb8: Fix minor quoting problems in doc stri

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9d35bb8: Fix minor quoting problems in doc strings
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 08:50:07 -0400

I've tried to stay away from this longish discussion because I have many
other things to do, but just to clarify my opinion overall:
I think that in the long term we should switch to using curly-quotes in
the actual source code.  How to get there is a good question, of course,
and I don't have a very good answer to it, but at least that means that
I think it's perfectly OK to start using curly-quotes in a few places,
and to start adding support for curly-quotes (e.g. to make it easier to
insert them, and to make *Help* buffer xrefs for them, to seamlessly
downgrade them to simple quotes on non-utf-8 terminals, ...), and
I think we should *also* add jit/font-lock support to display-upgrade
`...' into curly-quotes in those cases we deem "obvious enough".

        Stefan