Re: question about recent change

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: question about recent change
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 20:30:14 +0100

> It seems to me that it makes sense to upgrade such packages.
> The upgraded package can be installed in the user's directory.

They won't be automatically marked for upgrade when typing U, but they can still be upgraded.
If the user marks a newer version for installation from one of the Elpas it'll install just fine, and from that point on it will be marked for upgrades like any other package.

> This scenario was always a goal of package.el -- to let some packages
> ship with Emacs or in the distro, and then to let users install new
> versions themselves by when convenient.
>
> It wasn't clear to me from the commit if this ability still exists.

Yes, the message should be more clear. These external packages are being treated the same way as built-in packages have always been treated. This means that (1) the user can indeed install a newer version if desired, and (2) as long as they don't install a newer version it won't be automatically upgraded.

Do you think these external packages should instead be automatically marked for upgrade?
I think it makes sense for them to be treated the same as built-in packages.