Re: UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: UI inconveniences with M-.
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 00:15:08 -0400

>> Sounds fine to me.  Tho "symbol" might be a tad too generic.
> ...identifier? Better name welcome.

I originally suggested "identifier" and then changed my mind before
sending the message: the problem, really, is that things like M-x
completion also complete identifiers/symbols yet I'm not convinced they
should use the same category.
Then again, maybe they should.

> I was saying that about the current identifier completion in `C-u M-.'. And
> was mistaken: it's close, but uses partial-completion (according to
> `completion-styles'). Which is close, but a bit less user-friendly.

Of course, a better option might be a new style `pc-substring', which
combines partial completion and substring, so that "f-t" matches not
only things like "find-tag" but also "buffer-face-toggle".

That's been on the "todo" for "ever", but I just got used to typing
"*f-t" or "-f-t" when I need this kind of functionality.

        Stefan