Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:03:43 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But the current code in Emacs's "master" solves this problem by adding
>> "(package-initialize)" in the user's ~/.emacs.
>
> This is a very bad idea, I don't want my init file modified.
> Only the user should modify this file.
> Why don't you write to the custom-file (and make the use of custom-file
> the default instead of writing custom settings in .emacs by default) ?

The intent is to solve the problem for users who are confused on why the
function foobar, used in their .emacs, is undefined, when they installed
the foobar package.  The solution is to load packages before loading
.emacs (or at the start of it).  If a user is advanced enough to use a
separate `custom-file' then they probably don't face the problem in
first place, and otherwise Customize writes to the end of .emacs, not
the start.

Elsewhere in this thread it has been discussed in some detail how the
problem can be solved in an arguably clean way; I would like to work on
implementing that solution but have little time these days.  (And I will
likely have to do the copyright assignment stuff too.)  If someone else
feels like doing it, please go ahead.  (But maybe first sum up once
more, in a new thread, in detail, what exactly you will do, and get
approval before starting.)

Taylan