Re: [Emacs-diffs] fix-info-dups 6316172: Fix duplicates when completing

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] fix-info-dups 6316172: Fix duplicates when completing Info files
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:16:10 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>     * lisp/info.el (Info-read-node-name-2): Use the STRING argument a lot
>>       less, it's actually always "".
>
> What makes you think it's always ""?

I deduced it from the two calls to it and the setup of my system. I may
be wrong.

> I haven't actually tested your patch, but the way I read it, I get the
> impression that it will break things like
>
>     C-h i g (emacs-23/e TAB
> and
>     C-h i g (/usr/sh TAB

OK, my impression was that only the files on `Info-directory-list' were
acceptable. So actually it should be possible to navigate to any info
file on the filesystem?

>> Update the regex to remove the split files, the old one wasn't
>> working properly.
>
> But the new one only handles those cases where the ".info" extension is
> present, which is sadly not always the case (yup, the conventions about how
> to name info files suck).

OK, I'll work on it some more.

> But I also wonder whether we couldn't try to reduce the amount of
> duplication (at least in some of the common cases) even before passing
> the result through delete-dups.
> IOW, I'm wondering where the duplication actually comes from.

In my case, it comes from `Info-directory-list':

("/usr/local/info/" "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/local/share/info/")

I didn't mess with it on my own, this is the default value.  These dirs
have some intersections, hence the duplicates.  So they're not actually
duplicates, but duplicate info files, but there's no way to know which
one is which from the completion system.

Oleh