Re: Add function eshell/clear to clear current eshell buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add function eshell/clear to clear current eshell buffer
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:39:19 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 07:12:22 -0400

> >> Now this command does not clear the eshell buffer any more, but the
> >> eshell window.  I think the doc string should say so because this has
> >> security implications: The user may think some info is gone but actually
> >> it’s only no longer visible.
>
> EZ> The same happens with a few terminal emulators, so users should
> EZ> already be expecting that possibility
>
> But eshell is not a terminal emulator.  It's a shell.  Emacs provides
> the text UI around it.

I don't see the significance of this observation for the issue at
hand.  Eshell is an implementation of a shell in Emacs Lisp, and as
such, Emacs is part of it.  Therefore, we should compare what Eshell's
command do with what shells+emulators do.

> I would rename `eshell/clear' to `eshell/clear-view' and also provide
> `eshell/clear-buffer', if that's OK with Vibhav and everyone else?

Eshell should have commands named like corresponding shell commands.
Having commands with no namesakes in popular shells makes very little
sense to me.