Re: vc-dwim when nothing to commit

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc-dwim when nothing to commit
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:03:24 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 06:22:37 -0400
>
> EZ> Of course, bonus points for guessing the next command (not necessarily
> EZ> "git push") given the previous one and the existence of telltale files
> EZ> below .git/.  That would be much more in line with the spirit of
> EZ> vc-next-action, IMO.
>
> Right, so the history would be per repository and the very first initial
> guess would be "git push" usually?  I would use that.
>
> Unless there's a strong protest, I can try implementing a first cut of
> this. I like that it fills a void, where you say "DWIM" after a Git
> commit and VC goes "huh? go away!" :)

Please do, and TIA!  Don't be bothered by "strong protest", I don't
think we will see anything like that.

> EZ> Unfortunately, we don't seem to have an active maintainer of VC, in
> EZ> particular in the Git area, so Git support in VC remains rudimentary
> EZ> and at times buggy (e.g., see bug#20292, which remains without any
> EZ> response, let alone fix).  And since most sophisticated Git users seem
> EZ> to use magit anyway, I see no hope for having vc-git fixed any time
> EZ> soon.
>
> That's unfortunate.  I use both, but VC is definitely more convenient
> for "smaller" interactions.  Magit tends to be an all-day workflow.

For me, the main problem with magit is that it's specific to Git, so
it's useless with other VCSes, which I still use almost every day,
including with important GNU projects (like Texinfo, for example).