Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 23:21:32 +0200

address@hidden (João Távora) writes:

> Anyway, the specific issue I wanted your feedback about is a few
> messages back in this thread. It's about the use of
>
>>> (let ((citation-regexp (concat "^" message-cite-prefix-regexp ".*$"))
>
> as a way to consistently detect citations (inserted using message.el's
> message-cite-* mechanisms). This is because there are lots of variables
> there configuring the prefix, spacing and some other options, that
> reference this variable in a comment that I couldn't understand. Like
> this:
>
>         (defcustom message-yank-prefix mail-yank-prefix
>           "*Prefix inserted on the lines of yanked messages.
>       ->Fix `message-cite-prefix-regexp' if it is set to an abnormal value.
>         See also `message-yank-cited-prefix' and `message-yank-empty-prefix'."
>           :version "23.2"
>           :type 'string
>           :link '(custom-manual "(message)Insertion Variables")
>           :group 'message-insertion)

Ah, right.  Well, there's a lot of people who use various non-standard
quoting methods.  I doubt you'd be able to make them all work out of the
box.  You have people who use stuff like "Lars | Here's the quouted text"
and so on.

But if I understand your code correctly, I think what you're doing is
fine, and people who use weird quoting styles will just have to cope.
(Or rather, not get the new, nice functionality.)