Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:16:53 +0100

Magnar

While I can appreciate your point (oops, pun). But, while introducing a
new macro and effectively deprecating save-excursion would be safe, it
would be unlikely to have any real effects at all, simply because as you
say Emacs is very stable. That is, the vast majority of save-excursion
calls will never get changed, even if save-excursion is deprecated.

Changing "save-excursion" and introducing "save-mark-excursion" would be
another possibility (although the latter would have  the difficulties
that Stefan has described with, for example, activate-mark-hook.

Phil