Re: Trouble with lexical-binding.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Trouble with lexical-binding.
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:44:09 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:53:14PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Thanks, this (almost) works.  In the end, in my actual code, I needed to
> > put a backquote on (lambda ...), so as to be able to evaluate something
> > inside it with a comma.  There's always a way.

> Then it's not a closure any more, and you might be back with the same problem.

You're right: it's not a closure any more.  That seems to be an
uncomfortable inconsistency with lambda: whether or not it generates a
lambda or a closure depends on when and how it's evaluated.

Somehow, my code runs OK.  It seems the stack frame in which the lambda
is generated is also the one from which the funcall is invoked.  Or
something like that.

I hope you'll forgive me pointing out that the doc string and section in
the elisp manual haven't been updated to describe these complications.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).