Re: Async package.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Async package.el
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 17:46:26 -0400

> To take this further (and forgive the negativity), maybe we should
> back-pedal on adding the asynchronous interface to downloading package
> archives, too.

I strongly disagree.

> While doing it in parallel is great, refreshing the table of
> packages right under the user's nose is bound to create problems.

PCL-CVS and VC-Dir have been doing the same for years with
great success.  It shouldn't cause problems.  But indeed, to make it
work well requires extra care.

> - Wait until the user invokes `M-x list-packages' to update it. We could do
> it while Emacs is idle.

I suspect you mean to add a "Don't" at the very beginning.  It'd be
acceptable to add such a (mis)feature, but it should very clearly be OFF
by default, since we don't want Emacs to "call home" in such a way
by default.

        Stefan