Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 00:00:38 +0300

On 04/05/2015 08:42 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

I was told

     If I am right, you will see the changes you made, and nothing else.
     If so, fix up your commit message to something more reasonable with git
     commit --amend, and you're good to go.

It's a merge commit. Usually, you can just go with the default message. There's definitely no need to remove the mention of this commit being a merge.

Someone else might have figured that there's no need to duplicate information already present in the other commits, which are also being pushed.

Depending on how change log generation handles merge commit (I'm not currently sure; does it just skip them?), someone might have to manually edit the resulting ChangeLog to straighten that out.

It's not that this occasion by itself is a big problem, but I'm sure we'd prefer to see it repeated as rarely as possible.

I had to guess what a "more reasonable" message is, and this is what I
guessed.

When you are given a vague instruction from some person you don't know very well, "guess at random and then perform an irreversible action" is usually not the only option.

If my guess was not what you like, it's Git's fault.

Of course it is.