Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 07:58:05 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > And we probably should tell what happened after git pull with
 > > the following
 > >
 > > error: Your local changes to the following files would be
 > > overwritten by merge:
 > > Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
 > > Aborting
 > >

 > > AFAICT this signlas a succeeding fetch and a failing merge.
 >
 > Yes, and I already added that, please take another look.

I looked at the current version.  If the uncommitted files were
inadvertant (typical beginner mistake), your advice to commit, pull
again, and fix the conflicts is appropriate.  But this doesn't work
for Richard, who deliberately leaves some changes uncommitted.

I see two ways to deal with this.  Ignore Richard (and Alan, at least)
for the purpose of GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs, and preface the
paragraph below "Conflicts in uncommitted changes" that starts "To fix
this" with "If you accidentally forgot to commit these changes, you
can fix this ...".  Alternatively, recommend stash-pull-stashpop,
but Alan at least objects to the extra commands.