Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 18:08:02 +0300

> From: Sergey Organov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 17:43:36 +0300
>
> And now I got your recent answer that doesn't even mention either "DAG"
> or "meta-data", but rather suddenly unveils the fact that 'git merge'
> computes *changes to the tree* before committing the result. I'm sorry,
> but I have to give-up at this point.

To reiterate what I think should already be clear from the previous
messages: merging brings changes from another branch, identifies the
subset of changes made since the branches diverged, and then applies
those changes, finally creating a merge-commit.  (I didn't invent
that, it's a more-or-less direct citation from the Git glossary man
page.)

So yes, it's more than "just a commit".  Its result is a special kind
of a commit, but the process of merging does more than just that.