Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:46:33 +0100

I'm with Eli on the versionning choice but it's just bike shedding at
this point.

Interning all the time seems tedious and probably (a bit?) slow but
moving the interning on Emacs side won't change the slow part. At
least on the module side you can do it once and reuse the result. Or
maybe you shouldn't if the user changes the binding in the meantime?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> By path, I imagine.
>
> What path is that?  Where and how will Lisp code find it?
>
>> Why don't you have this problem with (load "myfile.el")?
>
> Because myfile.el normally does a (provide 'myfile), and then I can
> use featurep.
>
>> I'm not opposed to hooking modules into the provide-and-require
>> machinery, but I don't see a particular need either.
>
> The need is to have an easy way of checking that a module is
> available, without risking loading it twice, or having to jump through
> hoops.

We should call `provide' in the module (like in my module branch)
using the API. Problem solved?

Concerning docstrings, we just have to teach the makedoc utility how
to extract them from this new module system. Then the module loading
code can read that along with loading the module as it's done in my
branch, where the doc string field of a Lisp_Subr can be a (cons
"doc/file/path" offset) instead of simply <offset to the global DOC
file>.

So the real remaining issues are
- module code is tedious to write because you have to check for errors
all the time
- interning all the time is slow, probably? (needs some testing)
- <insert missing issues>

Sorry, I'm sure I've overlooked some things, I'll re-read all the
discussion later.