Re: Does Elpa welcome themes? Or should those stay in Melpa?

From: Matthew Carter
Subject: Re: Does Elpa welcome themes? Or should those stay in Melpa?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:27:52 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Are there any other things I need to do to gain developer access to the
>> GNU Elpa repository and push my package
>> (https://github.com/ahungry/color-theme-ahungry)?
>
> This should be solved now.
>
>> Also - I have two .el files in the repository currently (never to be
>> used in tandem) - one is a fallback for users with emacs less than 24.x
>> to be used with the color-theme package, the other (ahungry-theme.el) is
>> the main theme to be used with load-theme.
>> Is it a problem to leave both in the repository
>
> A package can have several files, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>

>         Stefan

Thanks Stefan.

Stefan (or anyone else) - for the subtree, should I add it via read-tree as
described here:

http://www.git-scm.com/book/en/v1/Git-Tools-Subtree-Merging

to allow updates via 'git merge -s subtree ahungry-theme-branch'
(similar to what the GNU Elpa README mentions), or add
it directly with the subtree command (it looks like hydra recently used
this for adding).  In my case:

git subtree add --prefix packages/ahungry-theme \
  https://github.com/ahungry/color-theme-ahungry master --squash

And subsequent pulls via:

git subtree pull --prefix packages/ahungry-theme \
  https://github.com/ahungry/color-theme-ahungry master --squash

It seems like the git subtree commands are a little more direct.  Were
they unavailable when the other process was used?

Is there a reason to use git read-tree and keeping the remote in a local
branch under GNU Elpa that I'm missing?

Thanks,
-Matt

--