Re: Project support and completions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Project support and completions
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:33:16 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:07:48 -0500
>
> >> Which decision?
> > Whether to make the second project active as soon as I visit a file in
> > it.  Assuming you use Eli's meaning of "active" (used for completion and
> > navigation in all (?) buffers).
>
> No, a project would be only ever active in the buffers related to it

In some use cases, this would be an annoying limitation.  So we need a
fire escape for those.

> (plus in the buffers related to no project at all, but in that case the
> user has to choose which project to use, unless there's only one).

For each such buffer?  If so, that's again an annoyance.

I don't really understand the rationale behind this design.  How
frequently (in time units) do you switch from one project to another?
Unless you do that several times a minute, I cannot see why would we
want this automation.

Me, I change project maybe once or twice a day, sometimes once a
week.  With such a low frequency, I don't need the automation too
much, but I do need the freedom to do project-related stuff from any
buffer I happen to be in.  Maybe I'm the odd one out.