Re: Project support and completions (Was: Re: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-f

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Project support and completions (Was: Re: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:09:15 +0200

> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:21:19 -0500
> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>     On 01/25/2015 12:26 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>         For example, it sounds to me that by having an "add project" and
>         "remove project" commands, we can give the user the ability to tell
>
> Such a model is inherently stateful, hence problematic.  It makes
> multiplexing work on multiple projects difficult and error-prone.

Stateful, yes.  Working on a certain project or a set of projects is
indeed inherently stateful.

I don't see the problematic part in that, though.  Could you elaborate
on what practical problems you see with this?

>     I believe some would still prefer just having it inferred.
>
> Yes, please!  Absolutely.

I thought I described a use case where automatic inference is
inherently limited and error-prone.

However, we could have both modes of operation, the automatically
inferred one for simple use cases, and the manual mode for more
complex ones.  There's no need to choose and support only one.

>     If the projects are unrelated, personally I'd rather keep them separate.
>
> Me too.

Me too, but sometimes it makes sense not to.