Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:18:02 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:57:33 +0100
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Well, I had a look at a Hebrew mailing list, and I found paragraphs like

> המילון שאמור לרכז את המונחים ולתקנן את המינוח העברי במיזמי הקוד הפתוח
> הינו מילון כרמ"ל (כרמל איננה רשימת מילים לתרגום), ניתן למצוא את המילון
> בכתובת: http://carmel.whatsup.org.il

> and

> בניתי חבילה לקבצי התרגום לעברית של אופן אופיס לארצ'. הבעייה שאני לא
> יודע מה הרשיון שלה.
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=9791

> where all the URLs are displayed left-to-right.  I don't know whether
> this is a representative sample, though.

They are.  Since all the characters in the URL are either strong LTR
or weak/neutral characters, the entire URL is displayed left to right,
no matter whether the paragraph's base direction is LTR or RTL.

But if the part after the "?" will include RTL characters, that part
will be rendered right to left.