Re: [elpa] 01/01: Add requires to fix separate compilation.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] 01/01: Add requires to fix separate compilation.
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:49:50 -0500

> Would it make sense to re-initialize the ELPA branch so that auctex
> git and ELPA are the very same thing?

No, "re-initialize" is never right because it loses history and might
overwrite and lose changes.  Just use "git merge", as usual.

> From my perspective, I'd be happy to put the files that are usually
> generated by the auctex Makefile which can't be built on ELPA under
> version control.

Reducing the diff between AUCTeX's upstream repository and the branch in
elpa.git is good.  But adding those generated files to AUCTeX's upstream
wouldn't really help elpa.git, I think.

> I guess for most of them we could make the generation add
> a "buffer-read-only: t" file local variable to prevent people from
> accidentally editing them or something like that.

A recent discussion about the way GNU ELPA is organized convinced me
that we should provide some way for packages to be built "by hand"
rather than by elpa.gnu.org's automated script.  That should let us get
rid of those generated files.
This said, I don't know yet how to do that.

In the mean time, making them read-only is probably a good idea.

        Stefan