Re: vc-state-heuristic is gone

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: vc-state-heuristic is gone
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:02:59 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> > Affected back ends: SCCS, RCS, CVS, SVN, Bazaar.  I've already tested
>> > with RCS and any change in preformance is now so small that a human is
>> > not capable of registering it.
>>
>> For local files, presumably.  Both NFS and Tramp exist and are in use,
>> however, so the "no cache" philosophy should likely not extend to
>> operations which can be triggered repeatedly during keystrokes that do
>> not explicitly invoke VC-based operations.
>
> I hope I am parsing your last sentence correctly.  You do not appear
> to be suggesting anything about how VC should work, but making a general
> observation about *other* modes that have local caching.

Not at all.  I _am_ suggesting problems with VC operation that are
likely to occur with a "no caching needed anywhere" strategy you are
proposing.  Your statements about the speed of current
computers/computing are only valid for locally edited files.  Emacs can
edit a lot more than just local files, including version controlled
files on a remote system.

> The next thing I'm going to look at is unifying the status-querying
> functions.

If I get a VC call across an ssh link for every keystroke I make in some
Tramp-edited buffer because the modeline wants to display the non-cached
current branch I am on, this is not going to lead to happy editing.

--
David Kastrup