Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:17:16 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:13:29 +0100
>

>> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> > What are the assumptions about the location of the release branch?  Do
>> > you assume the release branch is in the same cloned repo as master, or
>> > are there provisions for having the branch in another clone?
>>
>> As long as you use git-new-workdir, that shouldn't matter.
>
> You mean, gitmerge.el will discover that and DTRT by itself?  That's
> way cool!
>
>> The 'trunk' checkout should also have a local tracking branch
>> 'emacs-24'.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to rely on that, because it's something
> that's too easy to forget.

That's a misunderstanding. The above was not meant as a requirement, but
as a consequence of using git-new-workdir. If you follow
admin/notes/git-workflow and create a separate checkout of the emacs-24
branch, you will automatically have a local tracking branch emacs-24
(also in 'trunk'). At least that's what I am seeing here. I don't know
the inner workings of git-new-workdir, but the directories should to be
the same clone, but with a different checkout. So if you call 'git
branch' in 'trunk', you should see

  emacs-24
* master

and in 'emacs-24'

* emacs-24
  master

That's why gitmerge.el doesn't have to detect anything. It simply can
do its work in 'trunk'.

>> Alternatively, we could default to merge origin/emacs-24, which
>> wouldn't even require a local tracking branch.
>
> Yes, please, let's do that.

You'll be able to do either. For git it makes no difference whether you
merge a local or a remote branch.

-David