Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:05:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Sergey Organov <address@hidden>
>
>> The above is an abstraction built on top of Git's idea of
>> branch. One can get a chain of commits from Git DAG starting at
>> branch 'foo' and call the result "branch foo", if it suits
>> him. Moreover, he can do this from any reference, even from SHA1. If
>> I get the same chain of commits from branch 'foo' and from commit
>> AF03276BC, is it the same branch? Is SHA1 a branch? Is Git tag a
>> branch? Why?
>
> As I already said elsewhere, you seem to have a serious problem
> distinguishing the name of a thing from the thing itself.

You'll find that you can delete a branch, and not more than its name
will disappear.  If you _afterwards_ make another branch tip refer to
the same commit id that the old branch tip had, that branch will work
perfectly well.

So did I delete the branch or not?  What branch were the commits on
after the old branch was deleted and before the new one was created?

I can also do something like

git branch woozle hephalump

and create a branch woozle which is, for all intents and purposes,
equivalent to the branch hephalump.  But no commits were created in the
process of creating this new branch.  So what branch are the shared
commits on now if they have to be "on a branch"?

Branches are ephemeral, the commit graph is static.  Equating the two
will not do your understanding favors.

--
David Kastrup