Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 16:12:00 -0500

> so we could maintain a list of mistake corrections for that purpose.

Sounds a lot more complex than just "edit ChangeLog, and commit".

>  4) I have the impression that having to write ChangeLogs leads to
>  higher quality entries than just using commit logs would.

Yes, that's a risk.  We have to stay alert.

>> I did a lot of merging between branches with bzr, and had basically zero
>> problems with the ChangeLogs.
> The same is true when using git-merge-changelog with git.

We've developed ways to circumvent the problems and got used to them,
but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

One annoyance for me is the fact that we have several ChangeLog files,
so when I make a commit that touches many files, its description is
spread over several ChangeLogs, which is inconvenient (I almost always
end up forgetting to C-x C-s one of them, or to mark it in the *vc-dir*
buffer).

        Stefan