Re: git pull fails with merge conflicts. How can this possibly happen?

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: git pull fails with merge conflicts. How can this possibly happen?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 00:09:51 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Sergey Organov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:38:13 +0300
>>
>> > Second, too many things in Git are different, or are done differently,
>> > or have different effect from their namesakes in other VCSes
>> > (a.k.a. "have different semantics".  At times, I have a distinct
>> > feeling that Someone(TM) made a conscious effort to confuse me by
>> > picking up a different semantics.  Examples:
>>
>> | sed -e 's/Git/Emacs/g' | sed -e 's/VCS/Editor/g'
>>
>> and the result still holds. It's just that Git and Emacs have better
>> ways of doing things than anything else out there ;-)
>
> I use Emacs for more than 20 years.  If I used Git for so long, it's
> highly probable that the above would have never been written.
>
> Moreover, the first programmer's editor I ever used, before I switched
> to Emacs, was an Emacs clone, so I never needed to unlearn anything
> even when I started using Emacs.
>
> As for nomenclature, Emacs is different because it did a
> ground-breaking job: there was no "prior art" to follow at the time.
> Git, OTOH, could have used the widely adopted terminology and
> semantics, but instead deliberately chose not to.  Doing things better
> doesn't need a drastic change in terminology.

I've used other editors before Emacs, and I've used other VCSes before
Git. What I can say is that both tools have a nice property: the more
you use them, the more you like them... well, at least so far... Other
similar tools I used started to be annoyingly limited for me rather
soon.

> And I don't want to even start comparing the quality of the Emacs
> documentation with that of Git.

Git is young and it gets better. Give Git at least half of Emacs
life-time...

--
Sergey.