Re: Messing with the VC history

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Messing with the VC history
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:42:33 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 08:33:14 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> You can't win this one, Óscar.  Many Emacs developers, including
> several frequent committers, are uninterested in learning enough about
> VCS to deal with these issues.  Some dislike rebasing in principle or
> because doing it properly (as they understand it) involves running
> tests on all rebased commits.

I didn't want to start a "to rebase or not to rebase" argument.  Taken
at face value, neither was Óscar's original gripe.  So I pointed out
that a situation similar to what he complained about happens from time
to time in Emacs, and is IMO no catastrophe.

As for the rebase issue, the pros and cons are well known, and
interested parties can find good writeups on the Internet with sound
arguments either way.  We won't come up with anything new about that.
People take sides according to their personal preferences and work
habits, and that is okay as long as Emacs, unlike some other projects,
allows each one to do what they like in this department.  I see no
reason to argue about personal preferences, let alone accuse the
opponents of being unwilling to learn.