Re: Messing with the VC history

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Messing with the VC history
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:24:02 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 07:17:05 +0100
>
> To welcome my first commit to Emacs, some people complicated the VC
> history with unnecessary noise burying the happy event into a
> merge-fest.

I see nothing terribly messy there.  You will see very similar picture
when someone merges their local feature branch, and then pushes
upstream.

Maybe you don't like merge-commits in general, but then it's a
different discussion altogether.

> IMO we should encourage people to use fetch+rebase instead of `pull',

Why not "pull --rebase" instead?  Or even tell them how to configure
Git to do the "--rebase" part automatically?  People shouldn't need to
learn yet another command, just for that.

> (I'll not dare to ask why, mysteriously, the emacs-diffs mailing list
> abstained from mentioning my commit.)

It didn't.  It's just that this is your first time, and emacs-diffs is
a moderated list, so I needed to approve your messages, just this
once.  Part of your welcome party, I guess.