Re: (sql-postgres-login-params): Add user and database defaults.

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: (sql-postgres-login-params): Add user and database defaults.
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 23:39:24 +0000 (UTC)

> On Friday, November 7, 2014 2:37 PM, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael,
> Why did you add defaults to the sql-postgres-login-params option?
> No other sql-<product>-login-params have them.
> (The list also misses the password, but that was even before your
> 36827ec251bb18183110463a83d55b205653fd5d commit).
> Thanks.

That was a commit from 4 years ago; I have problems remembering last week.

A few related items:

* The defaults specified in the login-params are the same as the psql

program, but I am certainly open to changing the defaults or eliminating
them entirely if people agree.  I don't use PG often so I'm certainly

open to feedback from regular users of it.  And obviously, you can
customize its value to suit your workflow better.

* The reason that there is no support for entering the password in

postgres is that there is no command line option or syntax available

to pass the value in `psql'.

There is a long open bug report identifying passing passwords on the

command line as being a security risk, but I have not implemented an
alternative mechanism.  I am hacking a mechanism currently to not pass
password on the command line and provide it as program input when

prompted.  Postgres is one platform that could benefit from such behavior.

There is also a bug in the just released sql.el code related to buffering

output lines and eating continuation prompts issued by the command

processor relative to multiline SQL statements.  It interferes with the
password prompt issued by psql which is very unfortunate.  A bug fix is
forthcoming on this just in time for release with GNU Emacs 25.1 sometime
in 2037. :)  [And, it was totally my fault for allowing the bug to slip by
in the first place; I've made adjustments to my development workflow to

catch bugs like this sooner.]

My first focus is always to support Free/Libre database engines like Sqlite,

Postgres and MySql/MariaDB with new features.  Unfortunately, I do not
use any of these products significantly in my day job although I spend
all day working with SQL.  Any feedback or patches are actively encouraged.

--Michael