RE: Losing minibuffer input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Losing minibuffer input
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 10:53:41 -0800 (PST)

> > I see some incoveniences with this approach: when you are on the
> > first displayed line and you think that there are more lines
> > preceding it, pressing up has the same problem you want to solve
> > if there was no preceding line. Ditto if you are on the last
> > displayed line.
>
> This problem is very rare in the minibuffer because usually the
> minibuffer contents is displayed completely in its entirety.
>
> However, later we can add an option like `scroll-error-top-bottom'
> that will signal an error on the first hit to the beginning/end of
> the minibuffer, and only on the second hit go to the previous/next
> history item.

!?  Good for April 1.

Epicycles on top of epicycles...

Please work out your own new solar-system design as a customization,
not a change to Emacs.  We already have an easy way to customize the
key behavior: Customize your `minibuffer-local-map` keys.

> > Furthermore, if you are on the first line and you want to pick
> > the next item on the minibuffer history you are forced to press
> > down until the last line. Ditto if you are on the last line and
> > want to pick the preceding item on the minibuffer.
>
> Then you can use M-p/M-n.

You can use M-p/M-n all the time, and you can bind up/down to
whatever other behavior you want for the minibuffer - yourself,
like any other user who has a personal preference.