Re: Turning off colorization

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 02:30:10 +0100

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:

> LMI> If I understand correctly, this is an issue with Emacs running under a
> LMI> terminal?
>
> Not only.  I also see it for some html mail in an athena frame.

I don't know what that is.

> Some colour changes are OK, but the backgound should be untouched.

HTML should be rendered in a clear manner that tries to adhere to the
HTML being presented.  Background colours sometimes have meaning -- like
blocks of text being presented with particular background colour to
convey a warning.

If you have an example HTML document that shr or eww renders in an
illegible manner under X, OS X or Windows, please file a bug report that
includes the example document.

But if it's about rendering text under a terminal, I think the best
general fix is to disable all colourisation unless Emacs can determine
what the background colour actually is.  This is a general problem that
has plagued Emacs' colour selection thing for yonks, but hasn't really
been addressed.