Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:47:14 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

We've more than one branch in our Emacs repository, yet the bzr revision
numbers are not in the slightest inconvenient.

On more than one occasion they've been inconvenient to me, because I've mistakenly used a trunk bzr revno in a non-trunk branch, or vice versa. It's a natural mistake to make.

there was some discussion on this list about using some
tool-independent schema, using a combination of the author's e-mail and
a timestamp.

Are they going to enable the sort of conversation I exemplified above?

Sure, if they catch on. If not, another common simplification is abbreviated hashes, as in the output of "git log --abbrev-commit". That way, instead of writing "04a4a930a63e7396976fc016661f8f466faa64e6" one can write "04a4a93". Abbreviated hashes are not perfect -- they're not sequential and in theory they can collide -- but in practice they work well enough.