Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:11:04 -0700

>>>>> "Joshua" == Joshua Judson Rosen <address@hidden> writes:

Joshua> (and even regular files actually may have their ctime updated,
Joshua>  for reasons that I can't seem to find a way of fitting into
Joshua>  the VC analogy)

ctime is the measure for "should this file be backed up again".  If a
file is moved to a different place, or given a different name, it *must*
be backed up on an incremental backup, or else the data would be missing
(or in the wrong place) if all the incrementals are restored.

That was the original purpose, and still useful.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig