Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:36:26 +0200

>> If so, why is the default 5 seconds and not 0.01 seconds?
>
> Because there's no real reason to revert buffers more frequently than
> that.  But if you want, you can.

When I first tested auto-revert-mode I assumed it was broken since
nothing happened.
The original poster wasn't sure if the current behaviour was a bug or
not. Emacs is not
fulfilling user expectations for an auto revert mode.

No real reason? I have instead hard to think of a reason why anyone
would like a five
second delay for anything you'd use auto revert mode for. I can
imagine that someone
sometimes would like a minimum time between updates, if there's reason to
see what happens, step by step, but have much harder to think of a reason why
anyone would like such a long delay before the first update. I don't
rule out that there
might be such a reason in some rare case, but still, if not for
performance issues,
the default should clearly be "immediate" (by human standards) update.