Re: Aborting display. Is this possible?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Aborting display. Is this possible?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:00:52 +0000

Hi, David.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 01:30:02PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > At BOB xdisp.c, press F11, press and hold PageDown, release PageDown
> > after ~10s, then press F10.  This is what I see:

> >     Fontified regions: ((1 . 503768))

> > .  Thus it seems either the command loop or CC Mode is fontifying _every_
> > position which PageDown is scanning over.

> How couldn't it?  Fontification affects how much material constitutes
> one page full of material.

I suppose this is true in the fully general case, when different faces
on a GUI system can have different heights and widths.

Where in the source code, then, is this fontification being done as part
of a scrolling command?

In the usual situation in a programming mode, however, characters are
going to be identical in size.  There must be room for optimisation
somewhere.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).