replying to Debbugs [ was: bug#18725: ]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: replying to Debbugs [ was: bug#18725: ]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:13:25 +0000

[ Cc: changed to address@hidden ]

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 02:04:37PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > This is going to make Glenn unhappy.  I posted it via Usenet, for lack
> > of getting a CC of my original bug report to which I could've replied.

> IIUC by default you don't get a Cc, indeed.
> But you do receive a acknowledgment, instead, which should work fine
> for replying.

It's fine for the address, but doesn't contain the text one wants to
reply to.

> Maybe the acknowledgment should contain the original
> report as an attachment (or does it already?  I can't remember and
> don't have one on hand).

> I'd expect that many users would be confused if they received an
> automatic Cc: for their bug-reports.

We get an automatic Cc: for posts to emacs-devel, and that doesn't seem
to confuse people.  Well, it confused me, because I thought we did
usually get automatic Cc:'s for bug-gnu-emacs too.  It seems we don't,
and haven't done for a long time.

It would seem the only practicable way to participate in bug-gnu-emacs
threads is to be subscribed to the mailing list.  There seems to be no
other way (aside from NNTP posting) that one gets the addresses and the
text together.

I don't understand the bit in .../admin/notes/bugtracker that says "We
generally don't assume anyone who posts to a list is subscribed to it,
so we cc everyone on replies.", which seems to contradict the bit which
says "NB this [replying to address@hidden only sends mail to the
bug-list, it does NOT send a CC to the original bug submitter.".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).