Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 03:32:21 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > Just bombing out in some predetermined manner in some fixed location is
 > not a substitute for properly planned behavior.

Nobody proposed that, so please stop arguing against it.

 > Unless told differently, a tool like GUILE or Emacs, when used as a
 > filter, should do exactly _those_ filtering operations you tell it.

Right.  All Mark and I want is to default safely.  Ie, if you invoke an
encoding named "utf-8", you get strictly conformant output.

When Emacs is being used as a filter, you just have to use the
'utf-8-with-rawbytes coding system, and when Emacs is being used for
what is presumably valid text, you use the 'utf-8 coding system.  IOW,
it's use of the *-with-rawbytes coding systems that turns Emacs into a
filter.

I think that is way preferable to the alternative where 'utf-8 gives
rawbytes, and you have to use 'utf-8-strict to get validation.