RE: Changes in frame/window code

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changes in frame/window code
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:13:42 -0700 (PDT)

>  > And ideally, they would only show up when the text is actually
>  > truncated, i.e., `truncate-lines' is t and there is a line that's
>  > longer than the window width.
>
>  > Basically, that would also make sense for vertical scroll bars.
>  > Why should there be a scroll bar when the buffer text is smaller
>  > than the window height?
>
> I intend to write an auto-hide-scroll-bars mode to do that but it's
> not entirely trivial and probably would not come without additional
> costs.

What might those additional costs be?

Is it hard to at least turn it off automatically whenever
`truncate-lines' is nil?

Anyway, I suggest that until this feature (horizontal scroll bars)
can be fixed so that it shows the scroll bar only when the text is
actually truncated, it should be turned off by default.  Users should
not suddenly need to customize Emacs, to get rid of this annoyance.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad we finally have horizontal scroll bars.
But Emacs really needs to come up to speed with the rest of the
world in this regard: don't show scroll bars when they are useless.